All organizations that hire hourly employees strive to build a quality workforce. However, in a retail environment, there are challenges that can make consistently hiring great people difficult. When budgets are tight and time is short, how do you keep candidates in your recruitment pipeline and ensure that you are screening your candidates against the same set of criteria every time? Very few organizations have the technology, processes, and people in place to ensure that this consistently happens. Your business depends on making the right hiring decisions, so how do you get there?
Building a solution in-house is a daunting task. When it comes to recruiting for hourly positions, best practices are constantly changing. Retail companies are continually looking for a better way to recruit. Create predictability within your business to help forecast budgets and workforce metrics. Most importantly, gain insights into your business in real time, allowing you to have a better handle on the metrics and trends affecting your organization. Luckily, there are businesses that have developed offerings that can be plugged into your organization immediately. They allow retail companies to scale their recruitment with the seasonality associated with their business.
Outsourced recruiting for the retail industry makes a lot of sense. Below is a list of reasons why outsourced recruiting should be a part of your recruitment strategy:
- Scalability – Most retailers experience seasonal fluctuations in business due to holidays or seasons. As such, your workforce should scale to meet the needs of your business. Maintaining a consistent candidate pipeline will allow you to easily tap into quality candidates at any time they may be needed.
- Workforce Insights – Tracking the success of your hiring efforts and workforce is a major gap for many retailers today. Receiving regular, standardized insights into your recruitment process and employees lets you know exactly how your workforce is performing and where you can adjust to improve your results.
- Management Focus – Let your managers focus on growing your business instead of dealing with recruiting pressures. Hiring is a natural part of most retail managers’ job descriptions, but recruitment is not often their specialty. As such, it can be perceived as a chore, and a result might be that processes are skipped or take an excessive amount of time to complete.
- Budget Predictability – Normalize the cost of annual recruitment evenly over the course of the year. Receive comfort in knowing that the cost of recruitment will remain consistent month over month, making budgeting straight forward.
- Recruitment Expertise – Gain access to industry recruitment expertise without the time and cost of building a program in-house. Outsourced recruiting firms employ a team of experienced recruiters that know the retail sector and feel confident in finding and screening talent for your organization. They will adhere to a consistent process that ensures that every candidate is evaluated on the same scale.
- Candidate Sourcing – Whether your store resides in a small niche market or heavily populated area with a lot of competition, an outsourced recruiting firm will have a strategy to match your needs. Their knowledge of the environment you operate within will lead to increased candidate flow and improved candidate quality.
- Predictable Performance – By standardizing your recruitment and screening processes, your business can better forecast employee performance from the moment they are onboarded. With proper behavioural screening tools and proven interview templates, candidate profiles become a tool that can be used to evaluate the success of a candidate before they start working with you. This information becomes invaluable when looking forward to positions that can grow into supervisory and management roles.
Mindfield is a Recruitment Process Outsourcing (RPO) solutions provider that partners with companies to create powerful hourly workforces. Our solutions combine professional recruiters, simple to use technology and a data-driven hiring strategy that promises to improve the quality of your hourly workforce. This approach focuses on tying business outcomes such as sales performance, tenure, and engagement to the selection, hiring and measurement of quality candidates.